The ECD Residency Grant - DEADLINE EXTENDED!
The formerly known Residency Grant has returned from its vacation with a new look. This is an opportunity now for an artist or dramaturg, who self-identifies as being early in their career, to assist a mentor dramaturg in a professional setting. The applicant is expected to partner with an organization of their choice to serve on a theatrical production. The Early Career Dramaturgical Residency Grant opens itself to anyone regardless of age, education, social location, experience, background, and career goals. This opportunity values the applicant’s aspirations to grow and their dreams to give back.
There is no application fee. Candidates will be evaluated through an anonymous application process. Applications will be accepted from July 1, 2018 12:00 AM through
August 15 August 31, 2018 11:59 PM PST. All applicants will be notified of the panel decision and the winner will be notified by October 1, 2018. Feedback will be provided on your application, regardless of the outcome!
Grant Amount: $1,500 to support your time, transportation, and service to the production
- Why this organization (up to 200 words)?
- Why this play and/or why this dramaturg (up to 200 words)?
- Describe the time frame for your collaboration, including pre-production, rehearsal, and post-production (up to 200 words).
- How do you identify yourself as early in your career (up to 200 words)?
- What are your larger career goals (up to 200 words)?
Please attach a signed Letter of Intent from a representative of the partnering organization to demonstrate how they’ll welcome you in and illustrate their expectations (one page).
1. For the purposes of this application, if you self-identify as a dramaturg, you are a dramaturg. If you come from a culture that does not view dramaturgy as separate from other parts of the creative process, or does not have a word for dramaturgy, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to have a conversation about how you and everyone around you commits acts of dramaturgy.
2. Only one application per person.
3. Although we welcome applicants from anywhere in the world, currently we can only process an application in English or Spanish. If you know another language, we are growing towards a system in which we can accept applications not in English or Spanish, and we look forward to your application in the future.
4. You have up to 200 words to answer each question. There will be equal consideration for what and how you write, therefore feel free to be yourself. Within the previously stated boundaries, say as much or as little as you need to be clear.
5. At this time, we do not have the capability to review secondary materials such as videos or slideshows. Although their inclusion will not disqualify an application, they will not be reviewed. No letters of reference are needed - nor will they be read if sent.
6. Please be honest in your identification as early-career. We hold an inclusive space for individuals who present themselves as such, and trust each applicant to sincerely share their history.
7. Send in two files in PDF form to email@example.com, one with your anonymous grant proposal and another with your contact information. You may reference the partnering organization and your identities freely, only please keep your name hidden in your proposal. Please name the files “ECD RG Proposal” and “ECD Contact”.
8. Your proposal must be for the residency to take place between January 1st and December 31st 2019. However, if your partnership begins slightly before or after those dates, we can accomodate.
9. We’ll hope to see a weekly page report during your production’s rehearsal process on how you’re growing.
10. The grant recipient is required to sit on the next year’s adjudication panel.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact Bernardo Mazón Daher, VP of Grants and Awards, at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you don't receive an acknowledgement of your application within 48 hours, please contact email@example.com.
We look forward to your application!
To include on your Contact Information Form:
1. ORGANIZATION INFORMATION
Name of Organization: ___________
Mailing Address:____________________________ ______________________
Phone: ______________ Web Site: _______________
Representative Contact & Title
Contact Phone: ___________ Email: ____________________
Organization’s Mission Statement:
2. DRAMATURG INFORMATION
Please also attach a current bio or résumé. We will not discriminate based on experience or lack thereof.
Name of Dramaturg: ___________
Phone: ______________ Email: __________________
LMDA Member Status: ___________